The Charlotte Modern Quilt Guild is excited to welcome quilt artist and teacher Mel Beach of Mel Beach Quilts!
Lecture: Challenge Yourself! (on Zoom)
Tuesday, Sept 27 at 7:00 pm
Free for members, $10 for nonmembers
The CLTMQG meeting starts at 6:30 pm and anyone is welcome to attend our business segment and our show and tell.
Class: Slice of Improv (on Zoom)
Saturday, Oct 1 at 10:00 am EST
Length: 6 hours
$65 for members and $75 for non-members
Description: Let’s explore improvisational piecing one slice at a time! We’ll warm up
Register and pay here
- 1 yard (or more) of Background Fabric
- Solids make for great background fabrics. Small scale prints that read as a solid can work as well.
- 1 yard of background fabric is enough yardage to create the following small quilt sizes (for a scrappy background, bring 4 or more fabrics within a similar colorway):
- Baby quilt-25” square OR 25”x30” rectangle
- Table Runner 20”x35”
- OPTIONAL: You are welcome to get a jump start on precutting your background fabric into 6.5” squares
- 1 yard will yield 30 squares--Be sure to save and bring any remnants which will be put to use
- Variety of Scraps
- Raid your scrap bin for anything that is at least 1” wide. Bring scraps/strips that contrast well with your background fabric, but get along with the other scraps and have some variety for visual interest!!
- Solids, hand dyed, small scale prints, batiks, dots and/or ombres all work well
- 2.5” or 5” charm squares, jelly roll strips or random scraps of different lengths all work!!
- Don’t forget to save/bring any leftover scraps from your background fabric!!
- Sewing machine in good working order with 1⁄4” piecing foot
- Neutral piecing thread that blends with your background fabric
- Cutting supplies: rotary cutter, 6”x12” ruler, cutting mat (12” rotating mats work well)
- Small portable design board/1 yard of white/grey flannel
- Small camera/camera phone/tablet
- 6” or 6.5” square rotary ruler
- Maryellen’s Best Press—Fragrance Free